We all need time away from our jobs to spend with our families. In this economy, its difficult to find vacations where you feel relaxed but also not break the bank. Below we have pulled together our Top 10 Family Vacation Sites for the USA. These are excellent family destinations and most are offering some excellent travel bargains.
1. Walt Disney World – Orlando, Florida Disney World is a fantastic vacation for all family members. With 5 theme parks, 2 water parks, Downtown Disney and much more, there is something for everyone here. You will find all Disney parks are very clean, well laid out with lots of places to take a break for a meal. We have been many times and would go back again in a heartbeat – and our son is 14 now.
2. Cruising – Caribbean or Alaska Cruises offer you one of the best vacation experiences for your money. My family loves cruising, mainly because you can travel to many ports-of-call but don’t have to unpack each time.
3. Yellowstone National Park – Wyoming Yellowstone is the best national park my family has visited. The park is enormous but has some of the most beautiful scenery you will ever see. We saw lots of wildlife, including a black bear, which was exciting. My family actually camped here in our RV at Grizzly RV Park, but there are many hotel options. One of the nicest we saw was Old Faithful Inn located right next to the famous geyser.
4. Hawaii – Aloha!! Hawaii is a wonderful chain of islands that is geared for tourists. Each island is different from the next, with the active Kilaeua Volcano on the Big Island, the beaches on Oahu and Maui, and lush scenery on Kauai. Some of our favorite sites included walking near the Kilaeua Volcano, snorkeling at Molokini Crater off of Maui, and driving around the the beautiful Kauai.
5. Washington DC – Washington DC is an excellent family vacation destination. With all of the monuments, the US Capitol, the White House and of course the Smithsonian, there is lots to do here. Remember, all government buildings including all of the Smithsonian museums are completely FREE. TIP: If you want a tour of the White House or access to the Senate and US Congress gallaries, you need to book these in advance with the office of your Senator or member of Congress.
6. Dude Ranches – Bandera, Texas City Slickers here we come. If you kids love the whole cowboy and horses scene then we recommend you consider a vacation at a dude ranch, also known as guest ranches. In Texas, there are several located in the Hill Country but there are ranches all over the USA including Colorado and Wyoming. Your days are filled with horseback riding, pitching horse shoes, trail rides, fishing and of course eating some wonderful country breakfasts and BBQ dinners.
7. Destin, Florida – Destin, Florida has probably the most beautiful beaches in the entire US mainland. We would compare these beaches to the likes of Bermuda and the Caribbean. Destin is a wonderful seaside town about 50 miles east of Pensacola, Florida. The sand is a brilliant white color with clear blue water. There are lots of hotels, condos and several campground to choose from here.
8. Hershey, Pennsylvania – Where better to take your kids to than Hershey, Pennsylvania. This is a small town east of Harrisburg that offers some wonderful vacation options. The town itself is decorated with candy kiss light poles and you can smell chocolate in the air all over town. There is an amusement park called Hershey Park. While in Hershey you should also consider visiting Amish Country in Lancaster County.
9. Boston, Massachusetts – If your family are history buffs then you must head to Boston. Boston has some excellent museums like the Museum of Science which has 500 hands-on exhibits and the Boston’s Children’s Museum. You can also take the Freedom Trail or visit Faneuil Hall which both offer a view of Boston’s history. Oh, and don’t forget to eat some clam chowder… its to die for.
10. Seattle, Washington – You may not think it, but Seattle is a great city to take a family. The downtown area is beautiful and offers some excellent sites like Pike Place Market, the Space Needle and an underground tour showing the city from below. And don’t forget there are tours of the Boeing Everett Factory and the Microsoft Campus.